Thursday, October 05, 2006

Robertson v Thomson

The Supreme Court sent out a notice today that it will hand down its decision in the freelance writer rights case Robertson v Thomson. Heather Robertson claims those of us whose work was posted on InfGlobe (and, I guess, InfoMart) before the days of freelancer contracts are entitled to some money. By my estimate, I have about 700 articles that would qualify. Back in 1981, when I began freelancing for the Globe, I was flattered that the stuff was online. In 1986, while I was still with the Globe, I got free InfoGlobe access, which was a wonderful thing when I lived in rural Ontario. A few years later, when I wrote for the Star (and InfoMart was too new to be useful), I ran up an InfoGlobe bill of about $800. It was a stiff lesson in the value of electronic IP. I doubt many more people have as much contested online material as I do, and I'm watching this case with great interest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure. You had stories in the Globe and Mail. Uh-huh.

Anonymous said...

Nice to see the comments section is back up, OW. Unfortunately, so are the trolls...