Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Oh, for those naive 1990s

Listening to CHEZ FM while I recover from the stomach flu that hit my kids earlier in the week. CHEZ just played "Right Here, Right Now", one of the great anthems to the end of the Cold War. The song came out in 1990, just after the fall of the Berlin Wall and the collapse of Communism in eastern Europe. "Right here, right now, there is no place I'd rather be/Right here, right now, watching the world wake up from history."
Guys, little did you know. Saddam was just another tyrant. Osama was between jobs, having spent part of the previous decade fighting the Soviets in Afghanistan. It was one time -- perhaps the only time -- of real optimism since 1914.

1 comment:

nomdeblog said...

That’s about when Fukuyama (spelling?) came out with “The End of History”. I bought into that theory along with the peace dividend.

I then thought all we needed was more Warren Buffets and we’d all get rich and fire the politicians and live happily ever after as libertarians.

Then along came 9/11. My head hurts trying to figure out how I could have been so naive. Maybe that makes me a neo-con?