Thursday, July 12, 2007

Like a bad hand...

For reasons I've written elsewhere (my Ottawa City Journal column), I believe the Kilrea scandal at Ottawa's city hall is a non-starter. It's not that I believe Larry O'Brien is completely clean and above-board. Far from it. Instead, I think this thing will die a slow death because (a) nothing came of the supposed negotiations. In fact, Kilrea made a real deal with Bob Chiarelli; and (b) it's Kilrea's word against O'Brien's, affidavits and lie detector tests carrying no weight in Canadian courts.
As an impartial member of the jury pool, my take on it is that two pols shooting the shit in an outdoor cafe, and who cook up a plan in which no overt action takes place, are unconvictable.
The Citizen has the only "evidence" in this scandal, and yesterday it stopped all its "freedom of the press" yodeling and handed the stuff over to the OPP. Now, let's see what the cops do with it. My bet: nothing.
Probably the libel suit launched by O'Brien against the Citizen will be the only court action that will come from all this. And handing the "evidence" to the OPP is probably a way for the Citizen to try to derail that lawsuit.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of bad ideas, why is Kinsella now posting stuff about you on the main page of his Facebook page? I've also heard he plans to set up a mirror site in the US, and have an attack web site devoted entirely to you...you must have pissed him off again

Ottawa Watch said...

I don't care.
I've never read his Facebook page.
People have his number.
Her can set up an attack web site in the States if he likes. The US has libel and take-down laws, if it comes to that.
Why a self-styled political success story is obsessed with me is beyond reason. So it goes...

Anonymous said...

You care. You care big time.

Ottawa Watch said...

No.
But you do.

Ottawa Watch said...

BTW, Kinsella keeps his Facebook page private, so no one reads it anyway. You are either Kinsella himself or one of his "friends", and, either way, you're unimportant.

Marky Mark said...

At least the wo of you agreed about the Canadian Human RIghts COmmission decision.

Ottawa Watch said...

True. It's a good decision.
But the neo-Nazis are such small fish compared to the systemic discrimination in this country against Jews and Muslims, especially in Quebec.

Marky Mark said...

I don't see systemic discrimination against Jews. Some lingering prejudice still that there is a group called "the Jews" that is too powerful, but not discrimination as in a generation ago.

Ottawa Watch said...

It's not as big an issue in Canada, outside of Quebec, as it is in Europe.
In Quebec, systemic discrimination of Jews has been part of the mainstream Francophone culture since the days of Abbe Groulx, if not longer.

Ottawa Watch said...

BTW, Kinsella's libel on his Facebook page has been reported to Facebook's security staff.

Ottawa Watch said...

My complaint to Facebook has worked.
I don't think Facebook likes having libels posted on its site.

Anonymous said...

YOU kicked HIS ass again!

Ottawa Watch said...

I just value my privacy and my good name.

Anonymous said...

It's back, as a link.

What good name, you ugly freak?

Ottawa Watch said...

Warren, I'm glad you don't find me attractive.