Monday, August 17, 2009

Twenty-two days until the end of the news drought

I'll be back on the Hill this fall, dividing my time between Library and Archives Canada, the Library of Parliament and the Press Gallery. In September, I'll be working on a major magazine piece on Canadian politics. My piece on the Larry O'Brien trial is just about on the streets in Ottawa Magazine. The mayor's "big swinging dick" is mentioned twice. In the fall, the same magazine will be carrying a true Canadian World War II spy mystery which is based on previously unpublished documents held in a Canadian archive. My Beaver magazine piece should be out in a few months. The editing process is, I think, finished. I also have a few other irons in the fire: one on Civil War espionage, another on the Great Lakes' greatest unsolved mystery, and a couple of business profiles that have been pitched.
I do want to write quite a few op-ed pieces this fall. My last one, on World War II censorship, was published in the Montreal Gazette in the fall of 2008. My thesis and my teaching at Concordia took up much of my time in late 2008 and the first half of 2009, but they're both finished.
I've decided, after all, to go with an academic press to publish my work on the domestic press censorship system. I'm doing so, I suppose, to make a point. And I've already made a few thousand dollars directly from the material that I've turned up. My next book project has arisen from my research on the Beaver magazine piece. I have about 35,000 words in near-text notes and drafted text. After that, I'll resume my work on the biography of Globe and Mail founder George McCullagh. I'm getting help from Conrad Black, whose family moved in those circles, and I am grateful for the pointers and wonderful fact tidbits that he has given me.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The McCullagh piece sounds interesting. He was the guy who essentially had Hepburn as a kind of hand puppet, or am I confusing people?

Ottawa Watch said...

he's the one. And he owned George Drew, too.

Anonymous said...

Someone well worthy of a biography. Seems completely forgotten these days.
One of the big "ifs" was if he could have taken on the Toronto Star after buying the Telegram shortly before his death.
Have you been in touch with McCullough's daughter? Wasn't she involved in the race horse business?

Ottawa Watch said...

I haven't reached anyone in the family yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Just discovered your site, Mark. Here I was thinking sober thought and journalism were dead and gone in Canada. Refreshing. Thanks,
Robert
Calgary
P.S. looking forward to the book on press censorship

Carrie Buchanan said...

Hi Mark. Is Conrad Black still in jail? Have you had contact with him there?

Ottawa Watch said...

Yup. I have been corresponding with him by e-mail.